International Conference on Linguistic Resources and Tools for Processing Romanian Language
The 13th edition of the International Conference on Linguistic Resources and Tools for Processing Romanian Language, a conference of the Consortium for the Informatization of the Romanian Language (ConsILR)Edition dedicated to the unification of Transylvania, Bessarabia, and Bukovina with the Romanian Kingdom – 100 yearsWe invite papers presenting original and unpublished research in all areas related to Linguistic Resources and Tools for Processing Natural Language. Submitted papers can include descriptions of complete, in progress or theoretical research work; case studies and review papers are also encouraged.
The ConsILR series
The series of ConsILR conferences has begun in 2001, by the initiative of a group of researchers from Jassy, Bucharest and Kishinev, which have created, under the aegis of the Romanian Academy, the Commission for the Informatization of the Romanian Language, which subsequently formed, as an executive forum, the Consortium for the Informatization of the Romanian Language. The initiative has had as principal goal to foster the collaboration between the linguists and computer scientists interested in the study of Romanian language using formal and digital approaches. The proceedings including contributed papers were printed starting with the 2006 edition and since the 8th edition (the joined ConsILR events 2011-2012) the language of the volumes has been English.
This year’s event is dedicated to the celebration of the Centennial of the 1918 Great Union. On the one hand, the 1918 historical Union would not have been done if the linguistic unity of language was not already a fact a long time before and, on the other hand, the modern Romanian language was certainly influenced by this Union. We call for research that evidence the formation of the modern Romanian language, describing lexical, morphological, syntactic, discourse and/or pragmatic layers in both the analysis and the production of language, seen as speech and/or text. Contributions empirically evidencing Romanian language peculiarities in contrast with other languages or within its idioms, multi-word expressions, syntactic and semantic structures, so much culture-bound or nature-related, are especially welcome.
Apart from the traditional topics:
- achievements in theoretical linguistics able to inspire language technologies;
- linguistic resources, textual or spoken, in original and annotated format;
- lexicographic resources in electronic form, dictionaries and lexical thesauri;
- linguistic technologies applied to Romanian language or to other languages (inspiring their applicability for Romanian);
- various applications using linguistic technologies;
- linking of different types of linguistic resources, monolingual or multilingual;
- creation, maintenance, annotation and exploitation of linguistic corpora;
- annotation standards for textual and spoken language resources, exploitation of annotated resources in corpus-based machine learning applications;
- textual big data;
- aligned multilingual and multimodal resources and their applications;
- research projects involving language technologies;
- any other thematic area, circumscribed to the fields of theoretical and experimental linguistics, computational linguistics and natural language processing, either dedicated to Romanian language or applicable to Romanian;
- representative textual or colloquial Romanian linguistic resources;
- historical electronic dictionaries;
- OCR for old manuscripts and prints with Latin or Cyrillic letters;
- tools for processing old and regional Romanian;
- the influence of Great Union on the formation of the modern Romanian language
- “Alexandru Ioan Cuza” University of Jassy, by the Faculty of Computer Science (UAIC-FII),
- Romanian Academy, by the Institute for Artificial Intelligence “Mihai Drăgănescu” Bucharest (RACAI) and the Institute of Computer Science Jassy branch (ARFI-IIT)
- Romanian Association of Computational Linguistics (ARLC).
ConsILR-2018 will be hosted by “Alexandru Ioan Cuza” University of Jassy. Attendance to the event will also be possible through video conference.
The event will run under the auspices of the Technical Sciences Academy of Romania.